Friday, June 06, 2003

A Book and Some Haikus: The Laws of Evening

From Linda:
The book is called: The Laws of Evening by Mary Yukari Waters. I ordered it on half.com and will read it before I recommend it. Following is the beginning of the review:
    "The Japanese and Japanese American women who populate this remarkable poised story collection from May Yukari Waters have had their lives and families decimated by WWII. And yet they - and Waters - manage to extract almost crippling beauty from the defining tragedy of the 20th century and its ever-lingering aftermath. Each of Waters' stories is as exacting and bittersweet as a Hiroshige landscape, and there's a sense of loss and nostalgia becoming hopelessly blurred.

The war, after all, spelled the end of the courtly old Japan.... (reoccurring theme from last night)
Anyway, that Haiku reads:
    Since my house burned down

    I now own a better view

    of the rising moon.

In preparation for our next book, and its theme of guilt:
    A lovely nose ring

    Excuse me while I put my head

    In the oven.


    Is one Nobel prize

    So much to ask from a child

    After all I've done?

No comments: